10.24.2018

a long story

I always swore after Hannah's wedding on Block Island that I would never hold another wedding there or even encourage wedding guests. However, these were special circumstances.
  Hmm. So nigh on 40 years ago, I bought this property with my former husband and brother-in-law. Douglas and I had Hannah, who grew up summering on Block Island, and sadly, in the summer after high school, she fell in love with S. Now S already had a child with J, and when Hannah fled the East Coast for S in Oregon, she wound up with part time care of J and S's daughter, N.
   Time passed, as did the relationship with S, but Hannah stayed in touch with J and N, especially when N wound up at RISD in Providence. Not long ago, J asked Hannah if she could rent Hannah's house on Block Island for her wedding. I said okay. I did not know they were planning to get married on our property, but when I saw them trying to get out of the wind and cold, I offered them a little archway of bayberry behind my house. The officiant was s's father, Just as J began her march from Hannah's to Claudia's, the sun came through.
  The next day when the bridal party was packing up to leave, Douglas was sitting at my kitchen table. I tried to explain who they were, and Douglas said, "I don't know any of these people." I said, "You do too! M is a friend of yours!" He said, "M?" and ran precipitately out the door to find him.

   

2 comments:

otra rubia said...

That's a nice story on an otherwise not-so-nice news day.

Kate Knapp Artist Blog said...

yippie a wedding! and the sun came out...and you were there...