7.19.2022

ratatouille casserole

It’s ratatouille season again!

 

I haul out whatever is in the fridge that I get from Mary's farm—yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, onions. Always garlic. If using eggplant (which is great!) I sweat it first. I cut in thick slices, salt it, and let it sweat to lose its bitterness. Takes about a half hour. I dice onions and peppers and garlic and saute just a bit in olive oil. I chunk everything else into same-sized chunks, including the eggplant once I’ve wiped off the salt with paper towels.

Make sure there’s a little oil at the bottom of the casserole dish (you can even use a bread pan, though glass is preferred.) Then layer in the veg, breadcrumbs and cheese. Use whatever kind of cheese you like. I typically use fresh mozzarella and parmesan. I top off with another layer of veg, mozzarella and dust with breadcrumbs and parmesan.  Bake for about 45 minutes at 350 until bubbling and tender to a fork.

 

You can make this on the stove top without the cheese and breadcrumbs. That is the French classic. And as leftovers you can add cheese and bake later if you like. It also makes a decent sandwich!

 

No comments: