8.11.2021

the mouse wars


 This entry is, however, about mice. I found the first traces and freaked out. In my experience there is no such thing as one mouse. There are almost always six. Even so, I was hoping this one was a scout or an outlier. I purchased the cruel sticky traps and put them out. I couldn't sleep that night as I listened to the thrashing downstairs. And, yes, I had caught a poor little mouse. They are so cute. But so destructive. 
   The next night I put out more traps. Nothing. The next night I put out the traps again and turned on the fan so I wouldn't hear anything. Well, I didn't hear the next mouse drag the trap from the stove over to the sink, tumble a glass into the sink then fall in itself, shit all over the place and escape the trap. 
   The next day I chloroxed everything, cleaned the oven, put new liners under the stove burners and put the traps out again. I then bethought me of the fact that I had heard that if you put Bounce dryer sheets in your car, mice wouldn't invade it. In fact, I had some smelly Bounce dryer sheets in the truck for just that reason. I strewed them about the kitchen. I left the lights on that night. The next morning: Nothing.
   The next morning, nothing.
   The next morning, nothing. 
    I figured the Goose was mouse free for the moment, so I foamed up the holes that the pipes came through inside and out. I did a terrible job, but there have been several more days mouse-free. No traps disturbed, though I continue to put them out. Fingers crossed.
    And if all else fails, there is this better mousetrap suggested by David's cousin.

3 comments:

Ivy said...

I used to battle mice in Philadelphia because there was a "shell" next door. I used the spring traps. Ouch! But quick death. My innovation was what I called The Smorgasbord. Sandwich-table in Swedish, my second language! What I'd do is lay out at least 3 traps along a likely wall with 3 different baits! Something for every taste. Peanut butter, cheese, something else. Be creative!

Claudia said...

I usually snap my fingers in the snap traps. And if I do manage to set one, the mice seem to be able to eat off of them like a buffet without getting catched.

CBA said...

Better watch out. You are asking for a lawsuit.

Don't forget Nose Bite. You may be lucky and he's on vacation. Toutes Les Parisiennes vacate Paris in August.

And Ivy is right. The old fashioned Victory Traps are the only ones that really work, not to mention spare the poor mice a truly terrible death.

And..Honestly, now! If you can discipline and train yourself to climb Mt. Everest, surely you can master setting a Victory snap trap.