3.03.2023

real estate news

 

Well. It doesn't look like a beach day in Block Island. My sister, Erin, sent me a pic of this year's destroyed railings (bane of my, my sister's and my carpenters' lives), and then Waldyn went over to Hannah's Hideaway (which Hannah herself doesn't stay in, but at Claudia's Surf City) to take a look at it this week. Built 17 years ago, the railings have been falling off for a decade. Redwood my ass. Azak all the way, baby! Erin redid the railings at Claudia's in pressure treated some years ago, and they have been more durable. (Claudia's in background.) If this weird weather continues, I assume the smashed lilac bush will be leafing out next week.
Meanwhile in Missouri, Frank and Dianne swung by the Goose a few days ago It looks a bit forlorn as well. But save the occasional massive flood, the river water is less destructive than saltwater. I mean, despite taking on seven feet of water every so often, the Goose has stood since it was built as a jailhouse in the late 1800s.

 
    In more cheerful real estate news, Douglas's former partner Lynn has a few weeks open at her house on Block Island, which is quite charming and secluded from the hurly burly of summer there. You can see her place ON VRBO HERE.

    
In the fall Lynn spiffed up Douglas's house on Block Island—the shack we bought in 1980 for $45,000, which though much improved over the years (see below) would still be a millionaire's teardown.


Douglas put his place on the market for a few months last fall for $2.8 million. Ahem. His house and shed are in the foreground, across the compound from my two places, which are the third and fourth from his, after my brother-in-law's two houses. Figure that out!
  Hannah's Hideaway had a couple cancellations (one woman told me her grown kids couldn't come out and she didn't want to be there all alone "feeling like a loser!"), so I have two July weeks and one June week available. You can check that out also ON VRBO HERE.
   Oh, just one more. Friend Aron's house on BI, down the road from us,  is also for sale, and you can see it ON ZILLOW HERE.
    Location location location



No comments: