9.20.2021

my weekend in the hamptons

I spent the weekend in East Hampton. Sounds good, right? I am enjoying dropping that fact into conversation as much as possible for the next couple days. We hung out, we barbequed, we swam in the pool, walked on the beach (that's Atlantic Avenue Beach, above), took advantage of Adam's hospitality, admired his new house in the woods. But mainly we talked. Who knew there was so much to say? "The whole weekend was like a filibuster!" says Adam.
Given the fact that Adam, Hope, Barbara and I had all met at Time Inc, as had Adam's luncheon guests, there was a lot of reminiscing and gossip about mutual friends. What a pleasure to be with a bunch of smart people! And the fact that we  have known one another long enough to be comfortable together was an added bonus.

Hope left the party early, because she had to get back to a Patti Smith concert in Central Park (pobrecita), so we bid her adieu at the train station and headed off to the dump with a disused mattress. In a scene that reminded me of Alice's Restaurant, we found the right place to offload the mattress—it required driving around the dump several times to Door #2.

It was worth it, though, because behind door number #2 was an almost new Tommy Bahama beach umbrella that Adam had been needing. In the giveaway section, Barb scored a top sheet she had been needing, and I the amaturish oil painting  above the sink (below) that I really didn't need. Ah, the end-of-season spoils.

And then we packed it all up, and Adam skillfully drove us back on the LIE, past several car  accidents and through some horrendous traffic. But the memories that will linger are of good friends and the moon on the ocean and the sound of the waves. Happy Mid-Autumn Moon Festival!

Did I mention I spend the weekend in the Hamptons?

3 comments:

otra rubia said...

It was * chef's kiss *

CBA said...

I hate to cast a shadow on your Social Register event... but last time I checked...South Hampton was simply the Hampton "East of South Hampton.

But that could have changed. My Uncle David (who, like my Father grew up in Bronxville, New York) used to say that he lived in "Katonah-oh."

Why? Because when someone from the tonier towns like Bedford asked him where he lived and he replied Katonah.. they would respond .. "Katonah.. oh."

CBA said...

Correction: I meant to say.. " East Hampton was simply the Hampton east of South Hampton."