10.09.2020

luncheons

Two in a row! It was quite the week. The first one was at the Goose. It lasted for six hours, so I can only presume it was a success. The first course was shrimp ceviche made from wild caught gulf shrimp from the produce store. The second course was slow-roasted tomatoes with lime, a recipe I found in the NYT and David prepared. The third was David's oven fried chicken wings. The fourth was my cousin Glenn's smoked sausage from NOLA and David's sausage with peppers and onions, with sides of collard greens and French bread. And then the organic farm's raspberries (still bearing!) with ice cream. Paired with David's wines, of course. You can see why it took six hours to eat lunch, what with trotting up and down stairs with food. 


 

The next lunch was quite a contrast. For one thing, Virginia and I drove to her daughter's new house, 45 minutes away, and I didn't know it was going to be lunch at all, so I brought exactly zip. In fact I didn't even know we were definitely going and was in my bathrobe when Virginia stopped to pick me up. For another, the first lunch was with irredeemable atheists and Democrats, and the second was with fundamentalist Christian Trumpsters. And the VP debate was that night, though fortunately we did not get into it! Virginia brought baked beans, coffee cake and potato salad (which she told me makes a great sandwich! as if!), and her daughter Anna made guacamole and grilled hamburgers. It was an awesome picnic lunch. And her new place (three ovens!) was just about the opposite of the Goose. A lot cleaner, too!





No comments: