10.29.2020

ansel adams' america 3


 

There can be no doubt that Ansel Adams, as well as other early photographers of the American West, was  inspired by the romantic painters of the Hudson River School, whose grand vistas and hyperreality almost fetishized the landscape. (PS this is why I've always liked them.) Crystal Bridges has some of these paintings in their permanent collection, and it was interesting to look at them after the Adams photographs. 


Interesting that the captions beneath the photographs are now translated into Spanish. Another move towards inclusion. I don't remember this from my last visit to the museum. But, alas, my memory.


Only one more entry to go on the Ansel Adams show, friends and relations! I know you can't wait!


1 comment:

swampgassy said...

Well actually, I didn't know you were a fan. Tante and Walter own a Adams or two, and evidently, Walter "studied photography" under Adams. You need to get the full story from Walter. One of many amazing things about ole Uncle Walter.