2.15.2011

color me kate knapp


This is Kate Knapp Day, the birthday of a woman who is as obsessed with color as any person I have ever known. She can find color in a gray day, the dark of night or the driven snow (see her paintings on her blog). And she wears them, too, as these self portraits express. Her idea of a good time is to get up, put something orange and purple and green on, talk on the phone to her flotilla of friends while eyeing a vivid bouquet and then paint all day long every day with occasional breaks for meals. Colorful ones. She has done this as long as I've known her which is going on for, ahem, about three decades now. She paints landscapes outdoors, she paints flowers indoors, she paints portraits of people and pets, in watercolor and oils, from photographs and from life—all explorations of the wonderful world of color. She is brilliant.

4 comments:

cba said...

I second that devotion.

I have know this genius since she could crawl.

Her talent and joy are infectious, as her many friends, admirers and students will tell you.

One person I can honestly say " Is Magic".

If I could think of one thing that could, at this point in time, change the world for the better, it would be to elect Kate Knapp president of the Universe.

cba said...

I meant to say "known".

No genius, me.

Anonymous said...

Happy Knapp Day!

Kate said...

now I really am grateful for this lovely birthday wish....not to mention the editorial on all those colors that I wear and paint...by the way...I found some great drawings of you,your royal highness, on the beach which I will post tomorrow? that was worth living 60 years just to read about my wonderful self...thank you