9.30.2009

locavores my foot


It seemed like a good value-added idea at the time: An organic garden for the tenants to graze in. Eat locally and all that. Other summer cottage owners had the same idea. I wonder whether anyone ate anything out of their gardens.
I came back to find withered edamame and string beans, flowering broccoli and basil, a few courageous nasturtiums and a whole motherlode of bug-eaten collards. Fortunately, I like collards, as I'll be eating them daily. And very locally.

2 comments:

cba said...

You should have planted arugula.

Do you honestly think your fancy Westchester/Fairfield county type tenants are going to eat collard greens and string beans?

Maybe in light of this now-past summer, better to just leave them a few six-packs of Chelada.

Keep it simple.

Dianne said...

At least you kept the deer out of your garden!