5.01.2020

mayday!

To me, spring fever means maybe there is hope that it won't be so damn cold. And blustery. And rainy. To some it means getting frisky. People have a tendency to get in touch with long-lost lovers. But originally, when the phrase first appeared in the 1850s it meant, according to one dictionary, "the listless feeling caused by the first sudden increase of temperature in spring." Nowadays the dictionary definition is,"a feeling of restlessness and excitement felt at the beginning of spring."
   In these days of quarantine, People seem to be feeling both. Or I am, anyway. I am lazy and stay in bed til late, and go to bed early. Don't get much done.  And yet I'm restless. As, apparently, are others. One long-ago Tinder date called me to say why didn't I pick him and his dog up in NYC and road trip to Missouri. (   a) didn't want to spend that much time with him and his dog. b) didn't want to go to New York c) someone was already living at the Goose d) didn't want to sleep in the car on the way out. e) lots of other). I satisfied my restlessness by coming to Block Island. But I am still lazy.
    

No comments: