8.22.2022

what year was this?


Someone who knows cars would have to tell me when the black and white was taken. The color was taken about 15 minutes ago. Yes the place on the right is where I live. No one believed me when I said I bought an old filling station, but here is proof: Cities Service. I heard the place was built as a jail in the late 1800s.
   Bill Dugan found this pic, and according to the guy who posted it, this was the poor side of town. "Who remembers that Thomasville had a tenement or slum area? he wrote. "It was called 'Shanty Town.' The owner, the landlady, was elderly and rented to several (4 or 5) families. I attended school with some of the children. We moved away when I was in the 7th grade and moved back as a Junior in High School and I don't remember what happened to Shanty Town."
  Well, I can tell him. Most of the buildings are gone today, several wiped out by the flood a few years ago.  The church in that picture still exists, though you can no longer see it and it is no longer a church. The stately elm is still there, too. We have no gas station, no store, a wedding chapel, glamping and a cafe that's open Tuesday through Friday. And there's a New Yorker living here now. Fill 'er up! 

No comments: