7.22.2013

sitting goose

They blow up fast in the Ozarks. One moment it's sunny, the next—boom!  Yesterday's storm (above and below) rolled in grumbling and dropped 3.5 inches of rain.  The one last week arrived with a crack that would've shaken the Goose had it not been a concrete bunker. I was on the phone, running a bath. I remembered that baths weren't good in electrical storms. And phones. Did cordless phones count? I got off the phone. I decided against a bath. I unplugged my computer but not the modem and started googling. Egad! Concrete floors are dangerous! I put my feet up on the banquette and wondered whether it would be better to go upstairs near the roof and electrical box but with a wood floor or stay downstairs in the bunker away from windows. CRACK! That sounded like it was in the house.Then I could hear the storm move past, and then sirens racing north up the highway. All night the firetrucks came down to the river to suck up water and then hurry back to put out the fire in an outbuilding up the road.

2 comments:

otra rubia said...

News you can use:
How To Survive A Lightning Strike

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-survive-a-lightning-strike-2013-7

Kate Knapp Artist Blog said...

that all sounds very scary to me...I hate lightening!